Thursday, August 23, 2007

WEEK 7 - Thing 16 & 17 - Wikis

Well here is something that has some practical applications that I understand! I especially like the idea of the conference wiki where people - all new to a city - could share their findings with all the other participants. Makes wonderful sense to me! (I am beginning to think/sound like my middle school students who would always ask "Why do we have to know this?") And I actually found some answers to some questions I had in the wiki "Library 2.0 in 15 Minutes a Day". Very helpful. But best of all I think that a wiki would be a solution to some of our communication lapses among library staff. It would work better than our Intranet since everyone could contribute and answer one another. One of the most interesting aspects of a wiki is the notion that the best thing about it is also the worst: that anyone can participate. As far as a staff wiki goes that could be controlled by having a password to get into it.

Added my entry to the SandBox wiki though I'm not sure how that worked. The instructions were confusing and I had to get another staff member to help me. Sometmes it is hard to learn new things especially when they don't work the way they are supposed to!!!

No comments: